Okay, I admit I’ve been a bit grouchy lately. These recurring electrical issues on my truck are putting me into a funk. So that’s why I’m going in the opposite direction today.
Have you ever seen those tee shirts with the little stick figure designs that have a happy little saying on them? Their slogan is “Life is good.®” The Evil Overlord bought me one with a stick figure golfer on it and the caption says, “Be the ball.” It’s one of my favorite shirts. So in that tradition, I’ve decided to make a list of things that make life good.
Without further ado, and in no particular order, I give you my “Life is good” list of things that make me happy:
- Faith in God and the love of family
- Getting out of the sand trap in one stroke. Rare as that might be.
- Snow-covered scenery, but dry roads
- My spiffy new 15″ MacBook Pro
- A pair of shoes that make your feet melt when you put them on
- The fact that when The Evil Overlord (wife) touches me anywhere on the head, neck, back, or shoulders, I feel a strange, stress-sucking effect happening. . . even after 15 years.
- Surprising a cat and watching it wig out
- The smell of bacon in the morning
- A dispatcher that tells you the truth, even if the truth sucks
- A Saturday night video game marathon with all three nephews and The Evil Overlord; and the yelling and screaming that goes along with it.
- The fact that I have a wife who likes video games at all
- Finding a truck stop with both hot water and decent water pressure
- My mom’s chocolate chip cookies and my mother-in-law’s chicken and noodles
- Singing at the top of my lungs while alone in the car
- A long stretch of smooth road
- The feeling of accomplishment you get when you finally beat a big boss in a video game. . . after the 50th try.
- Seeing any bird of prey looking for lunch
- The magic that is fitting 5,494 songs on one small iPod. . . and it only being half full!
- Enjoying the bubble wrap in the package more than the item you received
- Hanging up on telemarketers
- The friendly driver in the car that helps the big rigs switch lanes
- Finding an ATM with no fees
- Seeing the look of astonishment on everyone’s faces when I complete a household task without screwing anything up.
- Watching a helicopter take off or land
- All seven Harry Potter books, especially the audiobook versions. The movies are good, but the books are where it’s at.
- The fact that The Evil Overlord rarely cries, nor does she need constant reassurance of her self-worth. . . and she can’t stand Oprah.
- Pulling into a jammed packed truck stop at 3 a.m. and just before you accept that there aren’t any parking spots, a driver pulls out of one right in front of you.
- The quiet of pre-dawn
- Hitting every green light as you go through town. . . especially when you’re in your truck and you’re on your way home after three weeks of over-the-road driving.
- Smiling and happily waving at a driver who just flipped me off.
So there you have it. Of course, this isn’t an all-inclusive list, but it’s a good start. Next post; what else but: Life is crap.